BBQ SEASON - HONEY BARBECUE SAUCE
Winter is here, and the BBQ's are back out and raring to go. Why not try this delicious raw honey barbecue sauce? Tasty, healthy and super easy to make. Use it to season meat prior to cooking, or just drizzle over salad.
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- ½ cup water (120 mL)
- 2 cups ketchup (480 g)
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar (240 mL)
- 1 cup raw honey (335 g)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a large, shallow saucepan, combine the onion, garlic, and water. Cook over medium heat until the onion is translucent and softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ketchup, apple cider vinegar, honey, and mustard powder. Continue cooking for 20 minutes, until the sauce is thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Using a blender, puree the sauce until smooth. Let cool completely for about 25 minutes.
- Transfer to a clean airtight container and store in the refrigerator. The barbecue sauce will keep for up to 4 days.