HONEY HARISSA CHICKEN
Honey Harissa Chicken and Chickpeas
Another easy way to integrate honey into your lifestyle and everyday cooking recipes! This easy baked chicken dish takes full advantage of the dynamite duo of harissa and honey, flavoring a base of chickpeas and tomatoes as well as serving as a seasoning for chicken thighs.
Everything gets thrown into a baking dish and, 40 minutes later, out comes crispy-skinned chicken over saucy legumes. Spoon everything over couscous or just toss together a green salad to go alongside — you really can’t go wrong with either one for an easy dinner.
Serves 4 to 6
- 2 x 400 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 400g can diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 tablespoons harissa
- 3 tablespoons raw honey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 3 pounds total)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Garnish options: Sliced toasted almonds, fresh cilantro, finely grated fresh lemon zest
- Cooked couscous, for serving (optional)
- Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 400°F.
- Place the chickpeas, drained tomatoes, 2 tablespoons of the harissa, 2 tablespoons of the honey, and salt in a 9x13-inch baking dish and stir to combine.
- Mix the remaining 1 tablespoon harissa and 1 tablespoon honey together in a small bowl. Generously season the chicken all over with salt and pepper, then rub all over with the harissa and honey mixture. Place the chicken skin-side up on the chickpea mixture.
- Roast until the chicken is golden-brown and cooked through, about 40 minutes. Garnish with almonds, cilantro, or lemon zest, and serve over couscous if desired.
Photo credit: Joe Lingeman
Recipe credit: TheKitchn.com