Chocolate Easter Egg Cake Recipe
The Easter Bunny has nothing on honey! Celebrating Easter this weekend? Impress your family with this delicious chocolate cake, using Blossom Honey raw honey
For the cake
- 225g (8oz) unsalted butter
- 250g (9oz) Blossom Honey Emirati Wildflowers raw honey
- 115g (4oz) dark muscovado sugar
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 300g (10½oz) self-raising flour
For the icing
- 1/2 cup smooth almond or cashew butter
- 4–6 tbsp Blossom Honey Emirati Wildflowers raw honey
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 4–5 tbsp milk of choice
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Chocolate & candied Easter eggs
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/fan 140°C/gas 3. Grease and line the base and sides of a 20cm (8in) diameter cake tin.
- Place the butter, honey and sugar in a large saucepan and heat gently until the sugar dissolves. Boil for one minute, stirring continuously. Allow to cool at room temperature for at least 45 minutes (so the eggs don’t curdle when you add them).
- Beat the eggs and flour into the honey mixture until well combined and pour into the cake tin.
- Bake for one hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cool, then turn out and discard the lining paper.
- While the cake is cooling, make the icing by mixing all the icing ingredients together until completely smooth. It's smoothest if you use a blender or food processor, but technically can be done by hand
- Arrange the cake domed side up on the centre of a serving plate. Using a palette knife, cover the top and sides with the chocolate icing, spreading it over the cake evenly. Decorate with a selection of small and large Easter eggs.